by Dr. Josh Axe
Aging is the natural process our bodies go through, as we get older. However, there are some complex biological functions that accelerate aging such as glycation and over-oxidation of cells.
This acceleration in the aging process is caused by excessive sugar, stress, and toxicity.
However, as you may have noticed, there are some people who are 40 but look 60 and others who are 60 but look 20 years younger.
Here I am going to share with you how to naturally slow aging by following an anti-aging diet, improving your lifestyle and taking anti-aging supplements.
Top Foods for Anti Aging Diet
Want to age slower? Then there are certain nutrients you must be getting in your diet on a daily basis including antioxidants, healthy fats, minerals, vitamins and phytonutrients.
- Anti-oxidant Rich Teas – Green tea, white tea, oolong tea, rooibos tea, and black tea contain antioxidants called polyphenols that protect your cells from free radical damage.
- Wild-caught fish – Provide anti-inflammatory omega-3 fats to slow the aging process. Wild Alaskan Salmon contains unrivaled levels of Vitamin D and astaxanthin. Both vitamin and astaxanthin are powerful antioxidants that help fight the signs of aging.
- Green leafy vegetables – Kale, swiss chard, beet greens and spinach provide important nutrients to support bone health, eye health, and even prevent cancer. Spirulina (a sea vegetable) provides high levels of anti-oxidants including polythenols. This super anti-oxidant is a powerhouse weapon against pre-mature aging.
- Berries – Are full of powerful antioxidants known as anthocyanins which help maintain muscle and may prevent cancer.
- Herbs – Turmeric and garlic contain anti-oxidants and cleansing nutrients that can slow the aging process.
Foods that Cause Faster Aging
- Refined sugar – Promotes a process called glycation. Glycation damages cells and causes wrinkles. It’s the top food that speeds aging in most people.
- Grains – Pro-inflammatory if not sprouted and lead to glycation, which will speed up the aging process.
- Trans fats and hydrogenated oils – These processed fats promote inflammation which may lead to premature aging, heart disease, and certain types of cancer.
- Alcohol – Although an occasional glass of red wine may be beneficial for health as it has an important anti-oxidant known as resveratrol, the overall consumption of alcohol is pro-inflammatory and speeds up the aging process.
- Artificial sugar or other artificial ingredients – These contain a large number of chemicals which can speed up the aging process.
Top 5 Anti-Aging Supplements
The omega-3 fats EPA and DHA in fish oil are powerful anti-inflammatory agents and may reduce age-related cellular damage.
#2 Green superfood powder (1 scoop daily)
Contains foods high in antioxidant compounds like chlorella, grass juices, wild berries, and herbs that slow aging.
#3 Resveratrol(250-500 mg daily)
Found in the skin of red grapes resveratrol has been shown to reduce cellular damage and slow aging.
#5 Co-enzyme Q10 50mg (150 mg 2x daily)
Acts as a powerful antioxidant by supporting heart function and is also required for the energy production of cells critical for preventing premature aging.
Sleep – A good night’s sleep is one of the best things you can do to prevent aging and is one of the most overlooked health habits. Aim to get at least 8 hours of sleep daily in a dark, cool room.
Exercise – Staying active keeps you young by lubricating your joints, supporting detoxification, improving lean muscle mass, and building your cardiovascular health.
Essential Oils for Anti-Aging
Essential oils like frankincense, lavender, myrrh and sandalwood are the most anti-aging remedies on the planet. They are high in antioxidants and contain compounds that naturally balance hormones and reduce cellular damage.
Taking frankincense internally 2 drops daily in water can slow the aging process as well as using this homemade natural anti-aging serum before bed.