Oil pulling is a very old Ayurvedic practice people have done for thousands of years to improve overall health. In addition to brushing your teeth, you can simply swish it around in your mouth and it helps kill harmful bacteria and other organisms.
How is it done? Pretty easily. Like I said, you just swish a bit of coconut oil around in your mouth. I usually do it for about 15 – 20 minutes, but I’ve heard of others doing oil pulling for longer periods of time. Be sure to spit into the garbage as enough coconut oil will plug your plumbing.
- Reduces bad breath by killing gums disease. Coconut oil has antibacterial agents that help end gums disease which is a leading cause of bad breath. Coconut oil also helps defeat cavities.
- Coconut oil helps treat TMJ and jaw pain. Oil pulling is known to help strengthen the jaw and relieve TMJ and soreness in the jaw area. You might be sore from the swishing at first, but your jaw gets stronger.
- Coconut oil whitens your teeth.
- Coconut oil improves skin conditions. How does brushing with coconut oil help your skin? It helps remove toxins from your body through the mouth, thus decreasing the likeliness of breakouts.
- Coconut oil relieves headaches and migraines.
- Supports healthy kidneys and liver. By removing toxins from your bloodstream, coconut oil eases up the amount of work your kidneys and liver need to do.
- Coconut oil might alleviate asthma and congestion. The jury is still out a bit on this one. Some cases have shown coconut oil pulling to help clear up inflammation of the lungs that causes asthma, as well as clearing up bronchitis and congestion. Tread with caution regarding using it as a treatment for any serious disease.
by Gregg Prescott, M.S.
I use a LOT of coconut oil in my house. I prefer buying three or four containers of Carrington Farms Organic, Cold Pressed Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, 54 Ounce at a time because I use it every day! As soon as I wake up, I add a tablespoon to my cup of hot chocolate. By doing so, it helps me to lose weight as it is a medium chain saturated fat and will speed up your metabolism while helping you to lose weight. For more on this, please read: Easiest Diet EVER: Lose 30 Pounds In 3 Months!
In addition to all of these wonderful ways that coconut oil is beneficial you can also use it for:
- Oil Pulling: Coconut oil is the perfect oil for oil pulling! Swishing coconut oil in your mouth for at least 5-10 minutes will help to pull out toxins in your mouth and through your gums.
- Teeth Whitener: Whitening your teeth couldn’t be any easier than using either coconut oil or activated charcoal. Simply swish coconut oil around in your mouth, just like you do for oil pulling. You can do both at the same time. I’ll brush my teeth, then brush again with activated charcoal, clean out my mouth with colloidal silver (swish around for about 2 minutes, then spit it out) then do oil pulling, and will re-brush my teeth afterwards, when the coconut oil has loosened up any remaining stain(s). For more on this, please read Coconut Oil Is Better Than Any Toothpaste.
- Suntan Oil: If you have a good base tan, you can use coconut oil in place of baby oil. Not only is it great for tanning, but it’s great for your skin as well. I have an old Neutrogena bottle that I put my coconut oil in but I only fill it up about 1/3 of the way because it’s usually solidified when I get to the beach and will not take as long to warm up into a liquid. You can find out more about this here: Ditch the Toxic Sunscreen; Use Coconut Oil Instead.
About the Author:
Gregg Prescott, M.S. is the founder and editor of In5D and BodyMindSoulSpirit. He hosts a weekly spiritual show on In5D Radio and promotes spiritual, metaphysical and esoteric conferences in the United States through In5dEvents. Gregg is currently working in collaboration with Michelle Walling, CHLC, in opening a holistic walk-in clinic called Alternative Holistic Healthcare (AHH) in Sarasota, FL with subsequent subsidiaries around the world based upon this model.
Related BodyMindSoulSpirit Articles:
Use Facebook to Comment on this Post
Category: Natural Health